World Library  

History of the Middle East

The Middle East lies at the juncture of Eurasia and Africa and of the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean. It is the birthplace and spiritual center of religions such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Manichaeism Yezidi, Druze, Yarsan and Mandeanism, and in Iran, Mithraism, Zoroastrianism, Manicheanism, and the Bahá'í Faith. Throughout its history the Middle East has been a major center of world affairs; a strategically, economically, politically, culturally, and religiously sensitive area.

• Cover Image

The Sacred Books and Early Literature of the East; With an Histori...

By: Horne, Charles Francis, 1870-1942
Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume II : Ante-Nicene Christian...

By: Philip Schaff

Religion and Christian Theology Collection

Excerpt: A few months after the appearance of the revised edition of this volume, Dr. Bryennios, the learned Metropolitan of Nicomedia, surprised the world by the publication of the now famous Didache, which he had discovered in the Jerusalem Monastery of the Most Holy Sepulchre at Constantinople. This led me, in justice to myself and to my readers, to write an independent supplement under the title: The Oldest Church Manual, called the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, e...

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume III : Nicene and Post-Nice...

Excerpt: This third volume covers the eventful period of Christian emperors, patriarchs, and ecumenical Councils, from Constantine the Great to Gregory the Great. It completes the History of Ancient Christianity, which is the common inheritance of Greek, Latin, and Evangelical Christendom. The first edition was published in 1867, and has not undergone any important changes. But in the revision of 1884 the more recent literature was added in an Appendix. In this edition t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume II : Ante-Nicene Christian...

Religious Publication

Preface: A few months after the appearance of the revised edition of this volume, Dr. Bryennios, the learned Metropolitan of Nicomedia, surprised the world by the publication of the now famous Didache, which he had discovered in the Jerusalem Monastery of the Most Holy Sepulchre at Constantinople. This led me, in justice to myself and to my readers, to write an independent supplement under the title: The Oldest Church Manual, called the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, e...

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume III : Nicene and Post-Nice...

Religious Publication

Preface: This third volume covers the eventful period of Christian emperors, patriarchs, and ecumenical Councils, from Constantine the Great to Gregory the Great. It completes the History of Ancient Christianity, which is the common inheritance of Greek, Latin, and Evangelical Christendom. The first edition was published in 1867, and has not undergone any important changes. But in the revision of 1884 the more recent literature was added in an Appendix. In this edition t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume I : Apostolic Christianity...

Excerpt: Encouraged by the favorable reception of my History of the Apostolic Church, I now offer to the public a History of the Primitive Church from the birth of Christ to the reign of Constantine, as an independent and complete work in itself, and at the same time as the first volume of a general history of Christianity, which I hope, with the help of God, to bring down to the present age. The church of the first three centuries, or the ante-Nicene age, possesses a pe...

Read More
  • Cover Image

History of the Christian Church, Volume I : Apostolic Christianity...

Religious Publication

Preface: As I appear before the public with a new edition of my Church History, I feel more than ever the difficulty and responsibility of a task which is well worthy to occupy the whole time and strength of a long life, and which carries in it its own rich reward. The true historian of Christianity is yet to come. But short as I have fallen of my own ideal, I have done my best, and shall rejoice if my efforts stimulate others to better and more enduring work.

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 1401 - 1412 of 1,412 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.