World Library  

Project Gutenberg Consortia Center

Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today.

• Cover Image

The Yates Pride a Romance

By: Mary E. Wilkins Freeman

THE YATES PRIDE. Opposite Miss Eudora Yates?s old colonial mansion was the perky modern Queen Anne residence of Mrs. Joseph Glynn. Mrs. Glynn had a daughter, Ethel, and an unmarried sister, Miss Julia Esterbrook. All three were fond of talking, and had many callers who liked to hear the feebly effervescent news of Wellwood. This afternoon three ladies were there: Miss Abby Simson, Mrs. John Bates, and Mrs. Edward Lee. They sat in the Glynn sitting-room.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Yates Pride a Romance

By: Mary E. Wilkins Freeman

THE YATES PRIDE. Opposite Miss Eudora Yates?s old colonial mansion was the perky modern Queen Anne residence of Mrs. Joseph Glynn. Mrs. Glynn had a daughter, Ethel, and an unmarried sister, Miss Julia Esterbrook. All three were fond of talking, and had many callers who liked to hear the feebly effervescent news of Wellwood. This afternoon three ladies were there: Miss Abby Simson, Mrs. John Bates, and Mrs. Edward Lee. They sat in the Glynn sitting-room.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Yvette

By: Guy de Maupassant

A restless crowd was moving along the boulevard, that throng peculiar to summer nights, drinking, chatting, and flowing like a river, filled with a sense of comfort and joy. Here and there a cafe threw a flood of light upon a knot of patrons drinking at little tables on the sidewalk, which were covered with bottles and glasses, hindering the passing of the hurrying multitude. On the pavement the cabs with their red, blue, or green lights dashed by, showing for a second, ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zadig

By: Voltaire, 1694-1778

A l?occasion de Zadig, Longchamp raconte que Voltaire desirant faire imprimer ce roman pour son compte, mais craignant que les imprimeurs n?en tirassent des exemplaires au-dela du nombre convenu, et que le livre ne fut repandu dans le public avant que l?auteur l?eut offert a ses amis, eut recours au moyen suivant, pour parer aux inconvenients qu?il redoutait. Il fit venir l?imprimeur Prault, et lui demanda quel serait le prix d?une edition tiree a mille exemplaires. Le p...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zadig

By: Voltaire, 1694-1778

A 18 del mes de Cheval, ano 837 de la hegira. Embeleso de las ninas de los ojos, tormento del corazon, luz del animo, no beso yo el polvo de tus pies, porque o no andas a pie, o si andas, pisas o rosas o tapetes de Iran. Ofrezcote la version de un libro de un sabio de la antiguedad, que siendo tan feliz que nada tenia que hacer, gozo la dicha mayor de divertirse con escribir la historia de Zadig, libro que dice mas de lo que parece.

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Popular Account of Dr. Livingstone's Expedition to the Zambesi a...

By: David Livingstone

I beg leave to dedicate this Volume to your Lordship, as a tribute justly due to the great Statesman who has ever had at heart the amelioration of the African race; and as a token of admiration of the beneficial effects of that policy which he has so long labored to establish on the West Coast of Africa; and which, in improving that region, has most forcibly shown the need of some similar system on the opposite side of the Continent.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zanoni

By: Edward Bulwer Lytton

JOHN GIBSON, R.A., SCULPTOR. In looking round the wide and luminous circle of our great living Englishmen, to select one to whom I might fitly dedicate this work, one who, in his life as in his genius, might illustrate the principle I have sought to convey; elevated by the ideal which he exalts, and serenely dwelling in a glorious existence with the images born of his imagination, in looking round for some such man, my thoughts rested upon you. Afar from our turbulent ca...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zuleika Dobson

By: Max Beerbohm

Introduction: THE promise of a full-length novel by the author of ?The Happy Hypocrite? had an intense effect on Beerbohm ?addicts? in 1911. Those who did not share in the excitement at the time may be bored now by being told how keen it was, yet it was indisputably keen, all the more so for being narrow and literary. A first play by H.G. Wells, a book of lyrics by Bernard Shaw, a comedy by Theodore Roosevelt, a volume of lullabies by Herbert Asquith?the announcement of ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zuleika Dobson or an Oxford Love Story

By: Max Beerbohm

ZULEIKA DOBSON. That old bell, presage of a train, had just sounded through Oxford station; and the undergraduates who were waiting there, gay figures in tweed or flannel, moved to the margin of the platform and gazed idly up the line. Young and careless, in the glow of the afternoon sunshine, they struck a sharp note of incongruity with the worn boards they stood on, with the fading signals and grey eternal walls of that antique station, which, familiar to them and insi...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Eye of Zeitoon

By: Talbot Mundy

Chapter I.. Parthians, Medes and Elamites. SALVETE!. Oh ye, who tread the trodden path. And keep the narrow law. In famished faith that Judgment Day. Shall blast your sluggard mists away. And show what Moses saw!. Oh thralls of subdivided time. Hours Measureless I sing. That own swift ways to wider scenes. New-plucked from heights where Vision preens. A white, unwearied wing!. No creed I preach to bend dull thought. To see what I shall show. Nor can ye buy with treasured gold

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Prisoner of Zenda

Chapter I. The Rassendylls?With a Word on the Elphbergs ?I wonder when in the world you?re going to do anything, Rudolf?? said my brother?s wife. ?My dear Rose,? I answered, laying down my egg-spoon, ?why in the world should I do anything? My position is a comfortable one. I have an income nearly sufficient for my wants (no one?s income is ever quite sufficient, you know), I enjoy an enviable social position: I am brother to Lord Burlesdon, and brother-in-law to that cha...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Ziska : The Problem of a Wicked Soul

By: Marie Corelli

Prologue: Dark against the sky towered the Great Pyramid, and over its apex hung the moon. Like a wreck cast ashore by some titanic storm, the Sphinx, reposing amid the undulating waves of grayish sand surrounding it, seemed for once to drowse. Its solemn visage that had impassively watched ages come and go, empires rise and fall, and generations of men live and die, appeared for the moment to have lost its usual expression of speculative wisdom and intense disdain?its c...

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Zola Dictionary

By: J. G. Patterson

Prefatory Note: In the preparation of my Introduction I have, of course, relied for information on the recognized Biographies of Zola, namely /Notes d?un Ami/, by Paul Alexis (Paris, Charpentier); /Emile Zola, A biographical and Critical Study/, by R. H. Sherrard (London, Chatto & Windus, 1893); /Emile Zola, Novelist and Reformer/: An account of his Life and Work, by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly (London, John Lane, 1904). Reference has also been made to Mr. Arthur Symons? /St...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Z. Marcas

By: Honoré de Balzac

I never saw anybody, not even among the most remarkable men of the day, whose appearance was so striking as this man?s; the study of his countenance at first gave me a feeling of great melancholy, and at last produced an almost painful impression.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Zincali - an Account of the Gypsies of Spain

By: George Borrow

The greater part of it has been written under very peculiar circumstances, such as are not in general deemed at all favorable for literary composition: at considerable intervals, during a period of nearly five years passed in Spain in moments snatched from more important pursuits chiefly in ventas and posadas, whilst wandering through the country in the arduous and unthankful task of distributing the Gospel among its children.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zone Policeman 88

By: Harry A. Franck

Chapter I. Strip by strip there opened out before me, as I climbed the ?Thousand Stairs? to the red-roofed Administration Building, the broad panorama of Panama and her bay; below, the city of closely packed roofs and three-topped plazas compressed in a scallop of the sun-gleaming Pacific, with its peaked and wooded islands to far Taboga tilting motionless away to the curve of the earth; behind, the low, irregular jungled hills stretching hazily off into South America. O...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Flood

By: Emile Zola

Our house seemed blessed, happiness reigned there. The sun was our brother, and I cannot recall a bad crop. We were almost a dozen on the farm. There was myself, still hale and hearty, leading the children to work; then my young brother, Pierre, an old bachelor and retired sergeant; then my sister, Agathe, who came to us after the death of her husband. She was a commanding woman, enormous and gay, whose laugh could be heard at the other end of the village. Then came all ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Zeppelin's Passenger

By: E. Phillips Oppenheim

Chapter I. ?Never heard a sound,? the younger of the afternoon callers admitted, getting rid of his empty cup and leaning forward in his low chair. ?No more tea, thank you, Miss Fairclough. Done splendidly, thanks. No, I went to bed last night soon after eleven - the Colonel had been route marching us all off our legs - and I never awoke until reveille this morning. Sleep of the just, and all that sort of thing, but a jolly sell, all the same! You hear anything of it, si...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Three Cities Trilogy Lourdes, Rome and Paris

By: Emile Zola

Preface: BEFORE perusing this work, it is as well that the reader should understand M. Zola?s aim in writing it, and his views?as distinct from those of his characters?upon Lourdes, its Grotto, and its cures. A short time before the book appeared M. Zola was interviewed upon the subject by his friend and biographer, Mr. Robert H. Sherard, to whom he spoke as follows.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zhu Zhai Ji

By: Wang Mian
Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 10901 - 10918 of 10,918 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.