World Library  

QR link for The Mechanism of the Modern State : A Treatise on the Science and Art of Government
Add to Book Shelf
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Book

The Mechanism of the Modern State : A Treatise on the Science and Art of Government

By Marriott, John Arthur Ransome, Sir

Click here to view

Book Id: WPLBN0000662358
Format Type: PDF eBook
File Size: 4.03 MB.
Reproduction Date: 2005

Title: The Mechanism of the Modern State : A Treatise on the Science and Art of Government  
Author: Marriott, John Arthur Ransome, Sir
Volume:
Language: English
Subject: Political science., Economics and literature, Economic & political studies series
Collections: Economics Publications Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: Archive for the History of Economic Thought

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

A.R. Marriot, S. J. (n.d.). The Mechanism of the Modern State : A Treatise on the Science and Art of Government. Retrieved from http://community.worldlibrary.net/

Description
Economic Theory Literature

Excerpt
Excerpt: The primary purpose of this book is to set forth the actual working of the English Constitution. Its method is mainly analytical; but no one can apprehend the genius of an historical Constitution from mere analysis. I have, therefore, traced the historical evolution of the principal organs of the Body Politic, both as they function in England and in the British Dominions. With constitutional history and political analysis there mingles also a certain amount of political philosophy; for neither philosophy nor history can yield their appropriate fruit unless cultivated in close conjunction. The method adopted in this work is indeed the outcome of a strong conviction that the Political Institutions of any one country cannot profitably be studied in isolation. Accordingly, to the main body of this work short studies are prefixed of three types of 'Democracy' which severally present a sharp contrast with each other and with the parliamentary type of Democracy gradually established by a prolonged process of evolution in this country. I have not, however, attempted a comprehensive survey of the democratic communities of the modern world. That task has been accomplished once for all in Lord Bryce's masterly treatise on Modern Democracies, but Lord Bryce has nothing to say of British Democracy (save in its newer homes oversea), which supplies my central theme. Where I have strayed from that central theme (conspicuously in Books II, VI, and VIII) it has been for purposes of illustration and comparison, in order to bring into clearer relief the characteristic features of the English Polity.

Table of Contents
Contents Volume I Book I. Forms of Government I Introductory Page 3 The State The Characteristic Phenomenon of the Modern World Scope and Purpose of this Work. What is the State? A State Distinguished from; (a) a nation (b) a Government The State Invisible The Greek Theory of the ?State?. The Nation State unknown in the Ancient World. And to medieval Europe. The Holy Roman Empire. Dante?s De Monarchia. Modern Europe ? the nation State. The United States of America. The British Dominions. Definitions of a State. The Comparative Method. Democracy and Democracies. Plan of the Work. II Forms of Government Page 19 The Classification of States English Impatience of Political Analysis. The Terminology of Politics due to Aristotle. Greek Politics. No Problem of Church and State. No Industrial Problem. Absorption in the Political Problem. The Form of the State. The Identity of the State. Aristotle?s Classification of States. Polybius on Classification. Cicero and Tacitus. Barrenness of the Middle Ages in Political Speculation. Dante and Aquinas. Sir John Fortescue. Sir Thomas Smith. Hooker. Hobbes. Montesquieu. German Philosophy. Treitschikes Theory of the State. Sir John Seeley. Inadequacy of the Classical Categories. New Bases of Classification suggested; (a) Unitary and Federal; (b) Rigid and Flexible. (c) Parliamentary and Presidential. Book II. Some Typical Democracies III Direct Democracy Page 47 The City-State of Greece. Democracy direct and Indirect. The Greek City-State. Aristotle?s theory of Democracy.

Click To View

Additional Books

• Lectures in the Forum in Industrial Jour... (by )
  • The Lost Solar System of the Ancients Di... (by )
  • Biological Lectures Delivered at the Mar... (by )
  • Œuvres de Fourier : Vol. 1 Volume Vol. 1 (by )
  • Journal : Chemical Society (Great Britai... Volume Index S 1903-12 (J-Z) (by )
  • A History of the Society of Writers to H... (by )
  • Proceedings of the National Convention o... (by )
  • Principles and Reforms for a Citizen Ser... (by )
  • Read the Label First! 
  • Quick Facts about Medicare Prescription ... 
  • Questions, Anyone 
  • Questions, Anyone 
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.