Language: English
Subject: Philosophy, Theology, Literature
Collections: Sacred and Theological Works Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher:

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Frame, J. (n.d.). Reformed Answers to Bible and Theology: Questions Q&A Knowledgebase. Retrieved from http://community.worldlibrary.net/

Description
Religious Publication

Excerpt
Excerpt: Of course, free will can be used in various senses. If someone wants to use the phrase to refer to the obvious fact that we do what we desire to do (i.e. compatibilism), I can't imagine any serious objection. Here we are just using a word to describe a capacity that everyone agrees we have. Even libertarians agree that we have compatibilist freedom; they just want to insist that we also have freedom in another sense as well. Of course, those who use free will to refer to compatibilist freedom must beware of misleading people. There is a tendency to equate real freedom with libertarianism. So one who claims real freedom and interprets the phrase in a compatibilist sense may lead his hearers astray. And of course the very idea of a will which exists in some independence from the person, the intellect, and the emotions, is deeply problematic. See my Doctrine of the Knowledge of God for a more perspectival view of intellect, will, emotions, imagination, etc. So I prefer to speak of freedom in general rather than free will.

Click To View

Additional Books

• Brahma-Knowledge (by )
  • Basic Writings of Saint Thomas Aquinas V... (by )
  • Browning's Message to His Time : His Rel... (by )
  • Biographical Memoirs, Of Adam Smith, Ll.... (by )
  • Biographical, Literary, And Philosophica... (by )
  • Bulletin. Philosophical Series : 1 No. 1 Volume 1 No. 1 (by )
  • Briefe Von Ferdinand Lassalle an Karl Ma... (by )
  • The Works : Including Many of His Writin... (by )
  • Basal Concepts in Philosophy : An Inquir... (by )
  • Bildliche Darstellung des Systems der To... (by )
  • The Works : Including Many of His Writin... (by )
  • Buhay Na Nasapit Ni Anselmo at Ni Elisa ... (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.