Format Type: PDF eBook
File Size: 62.02 KB.
Reproduction Date: 2005
Full Text

Title: United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit  
Author: Burrows, John H.
Volume:
Language: English
Subject: Government publications, United Nations Publications, Commission on Human Rights
Collections: Center For World Indigenous Studies (CWIS) Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: Center For World Indigenous Studies (CWIS) and The Fourth World Documentation Project

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Burrows, J. (n.d.). United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Retrieved from http://community.worldlibrary.net/

Description
Government Reference and International Publications of the Center For World Indigenous Studies :

Excerpt
Excerpt: Despite the good faith efforts by both the Navajo families and the Hopi Tribe, the Hopi proposal does not adequately address or resolve fundamental Navajo concerns that any settlement must be permanent, avoid forced relocation, and guarantee the religious rights and needs of the members of both Tribes. In addition, the Navajo families believe that any agreement to settle this complex and painful dispute must have the support of Congress, the State of Arizona, and the public. It is clear that the Hopi proposal does not have that support.

Table of Contents
Table of Contents: I. HISTORICAL BACKGROUND, 1 -- A. INTRODUCTION, 1 -- B. MANYBEADS AND CONSTRUCTION LITIGATION, 2 -- C. MEDIATOR'S REQUEST FOR SETTLEMENT PROPOSALS, 3 -- D. NAVAJO COMPLIANCE WITH HOPI DEMANDS, 4 -- 3 -- E. NAVAJO PROPOSAL, 6 -- F. HOPI COUNTER-PROPOSAL, 6 -- G. MAGISTRATE'S LAST TRIP TO HPL PRIOR TO SIGNING -- OF AIP, 8 -- H. LEASE WITH OPTION TO BUY, 8 -- II. THE AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE (A.I.P.), 8 -- A. PRESSURE TO SIGN AIP, 9 -- B. THE TERMS OF THE A.I.P., 9 -- C. LEAK OF AIP, 14 -- D. RATIFICATION OF THE AIP BY THE NAVAJO NATION -- AND THE NAVAJO FAMILIES LIVING ON THE HOPI -- PARTITIONED LANDS, 15 -- E. EDUCATING THE NAVAJO FAMILIES ON THE HPL, 16 -- F. NAVAJO CONCERNS AND EFFORTS TO SEEK A HOPI -- COMPROMISE, 17 -- G. MAGISTRATE McCUE SETS DEADLINES FOR NAVAJO -- FAMILIES TO RATIFY THE A.I.P., 18 -- III. THE NAVAJO FAMILIES' RESPONSE TO THE A.I.P. AND -- THE HOPI PROPOSAL, 19 -- A. THE RESPONSE, 19 -- B. THE NAVAJO FAMILIES ALTERNATIVE TO THE -- A.I.P, 20 -- C. A COMPARISON OF THE NAVAJO AND HOPI -- PROPOSALS, 22 -- 1. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL PROVIDES A -- PERMANENT SOLUTION TO THE LAND -- DISPUTE, 22 -- 2. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL AVOIDS FUTURE -- DISPUTES BETWEEN THE NAVAJO FAMILIES -- AND THE HOPI TRIBE., 22 -- 3. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL AVOIDS THE -- PROBLEM WITH FURTHER EVICTIONS OR -- RELOCATIONS., 22 -- 4. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL AVOIDS THE ISSUE -- OF ANNUAL RENT., 23 -- 5. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL DOES NOT INVOLVE -- THE USE OF PUBLIC LANDS., 23 -- 6. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL PROVIDES EQUAL -- PROTECTION AND RESPECT FOR THE -- RELIGIOUS CONCERNS OF BOTH TRIBES., 23 -- 7. THE NAVAJO PROPOSAL HAS A -- SUBSTANTIAL LIKELIHOOD OF RECEIVING -- SUPPORT FROM MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND -- THE STATE AND PEOPLE OF ARIZONA., 24

Click To View

Additional Books

• Draft Memorandum of Understanding 
  • Discrimination against Indigenous Popula... 
  • Discrimination against Indigenous People... 
  • Standard-Setting Activities: Evolution o... 
  • Standard-Setting Activities: Evolution o... 
  • Indian Nations and the Constitution 
  • Review of Developments Pertaining to the... 
  • Review of Developments Pertaining to the... 
  • When Tribes and States Collide Part I (by )
  • Handbook on State-Tribal Relations 
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.